Total Pageviews

Thursday, September 25, 2014

From news to views

Courtesy: www.thehindu.com

Updated: September 24, 2014 20:53 IST 



News reader, actor and stage performer S. Varadharajen talks about his chequered career

There was a time when news anchors had a huge fan following. From the commanding tone of Tamizhanban to the powerful voice of Shobana Ravi, each one had a distinct identity. With his pleasing demeanour and tremendous voice clarity, S. Varadharajen is one of the few to etch his name in the higher echelons of news reading on Doordarshan's Tamil channel. He is better known as 'TV' Varadharajen.

His voice was so gratifying that once actor Rajnikanth specifically wanted Varadharajen to read a news bulletin for his film Arunachalam. "I was pleasantly surprised to hear that he asked for my voice," he says. With that came string of opportunities to read news bulletins in films.

"I also have the dubious distinction of reading the obits of famous personalities. When famous actor and singer K.B. Sundarambal died, I was glad that I was not on duty. But then I got a call from my colleague Shobana Ravi to substitute her as she was not well," he laughs.


1 comment: