Total Pageviews

Friday, August 29, 2014

Dancer recalls tryst with DD

Courtesy: www.thehindu.com

Updated: August 29, 2014 02:03 IST 




Her love for dancing and singing as a child provided her an opportunity to face a television camera, even before her arangetram.

Bharatanatyam dancer and guru Urmila Sathyanarayanan was just nine when she was chosen to perform a piece on Doordarshan, after the channel was launched in Madras in August 1975.

"At that age, I would readily dance and sing whenever someone asked me to, since I loved to perform. Narayanaswamy sir, a producer from Doordarshan Kendra, Madras, asked me to perform when television was launched here. Though my mother said I had not even presented my arangetram, my master, Dhandayuthapani Pillai, gave the go-ahead and I performed a Tamil song that was not a part of the Bharatanatyam paddhathi," she said.



2 comments: