Total Pageviews

Monday, December 31, 2012

Resul Pookutty wishes a seperate Doordarshan for indie films

Source: Times of India | Bollywood: Jyothi Prabhakar, TNN 

Dated: 16th December, 2012, 12.00AM IST

 


Looks like the coming year is going to be great for Indian filmmaking - Anupam Kher is already doing the award ceremony rounds, AR Rahman is in the Oscar shortlist in Best Original Score for his compositions for the Elizabeth Banks-Chris Pine starrer People Like Us, and so are Shankar, Ehsan, Loy for the title track of Delhi Safari. Also, the film I worked on, The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, has got two Golden Globe nominations. So, we have more hope than we had at the Olympics," said Resul, as he lowered his mammoth 'sound catcher' mic on the steps of the Jama Masjid.

 

He added, "I was so busy, I couldn't even attend the meeting with the I&B minister (where indie filmmakers put forward their concerns). I am roaming the streets for Delhi sounds. I'm roaming around Jama Masjid and Old Delhi eating all the dust, while all those associated with my first bucket film, I.D., are partying," said Resul. And then he revealed that I.D. has bagged the Best Asian Film Award at the International Film Festival of Kerala (IIFK).

Resul is working on the sound design for Aankhon Dekhi, a Rajat Kapoor film. "It is set in Delhi, and is truly a celebration of Indian life. Rajat says the flavour and feel of Delhi has to come through the sounds - and I have shot in the interiors of Jama Masjid and Chandni Chowk; I shot in an old school here where the kids gave me a hard time," he told us.

Coming back to I.D.'s award, the film also got written about as one to watch out for by Cahiers du Cinema, one of the most prestigious cinema publications in the world. But he can't screen the film in India. "There are a few smoking scenes, and also 'F' words, and so, it's got an 'A' certificate. So now, my first job when I return is to present the movie for re-censorship. I am told I can appeal to the Appellate Tribunal," said Resul, who, along with the likes of Ramesh Sippy, has come out with an alternative suggestion to end indie filmmakers' woes. "Maybe there could be a separate Doordarshan channel that shows such films - a world cinema channel - or actually, when multiplexes are given licenses, a condition can be created to reserve one auditorium, or even a specific slot, to show such films. This just has to be done, it is high time. Things have come to such a level where it's easier for me to catch a French film than an award winning Tamil film in my own country."

 

Link: http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2012-12-16/news-interviews/35837001_1_resul-pookutty-cahiers-du-cinema-tamil-film

1 comment: